Sunday, May 6, 2012

Chop to it!


One of Shanghai Street's many kitchen supply shops.

So we’re setting up shop. Our apartment, while it came furnished, was missing a few key things – pots and pans, utensils, plates and all of the little touches that turn an apartment into a home. 

This week has been full of running around. Ikea one morning. And then back that night. Checking out the plates at one store and the wine glasses at another while hunting for the best deals and also the best styles. (Is it just me, or are other shoppers out there equally neurotic?) It’s funny setting up a home in such a transient place, and without knowing how long we’ll be here or where and when we’ll go next, it means that our shopping mentality is totally different.

Yesterday I went on an excursion to Shanghai Street in Kowloon. It’s a small street lined with about 15 restaurant supply style stores. (Think Bowery Restaurant Supply in NYC.)   You can find everything there from large commercial size machinery to chopsticks and porcelain teacups and you can't beat the prices.

I can’t tell you how many times yesterday I said “I had this at home! I should have brought it with me!” C’est la vie! After pulling the trigger and making my first purchase, I was finally ready to dive in and commit to a basket full of kitchenware. I bought a mix of knives and assorted essential kitchen tools (can opener, wooden spoon, peeler, grater/zester, skewers for the bbq, etc – you get the picture!). I also bought an assortment of tupperware which is crucial in Hong Kong because the humidity causes mold and open items to go stale very quickly.

And thanks to my shopping partner (my long lost friend from nursery school) who was able to bargain with the shop owner and get the price down by 5%. He did such a good job that she even complimented his bargaining skills!

So after almost one week, my kitchen is almost there! What else am I missing? What’s your favorite, can’t live without, kitchen tool?

Keeping watch on Shanghai Street.


No comments:

Post a Comment