Saturday, July 7, 2012

In Tacos We Trust: Braised Pork Tacos



If there's one thing that's really benefiting from my unemployment it's my gym routine cooking.  So when Pat said he was craving pork tacos, I made it my mission to make killer pork tacos.

Now I'm not a big pork person and, save for that bacon infused vodka I once attempted, I haven't experimented much with pig. So while I usually ignore consider his dinner requests, I jumped to try cooking something new. And with time on my side, I opted for a recipe that called for slowly braising the meat (yes, I do have entire afternoons free to do this!).

The first challenge was finding a pork shoulder. After a few failed attempts, I finally tracked one down at Pacific Gourmet.  Once I had my meat and all of my ingredients ready to go, I was ready to rock.

I can't say there was anything tricky about this recipe - and the most time consuming part of the cooking was just waiting for the meat to braise in the oven (giving me time to online shop job search).  The meat cooked perfectly, shredding easily with a fork and then melting in my mouth. The sauce had a lot of heat and really brought out the flavor in the pork, rather than masking it. I topped soft tacos with the meat and sauce, pickled onions (recipe below), a jalapeno slice and a slice of avocado and served these with a small side of quinoa and black beans.

Pat proclaimed that it was the best meal I've ever made him.  Okay, so maybe two things are really benefiting from my unemployment!

Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray's Week In a Day

What You'll Need:  (serves 2 with leftovers)

Meat+ Sauce:
boneless pork shoulder (about 2lbs)      
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons evoo
2 onions, cut into wedges with the root on
4 large coves of garlic, smashed
1 red chili
2 bay leaves
8oz beer
1 cup chicken stock                    
1 cup orange juice
1 chipotle pepper, chopped (2 for added spice)
1 tablespoon adobo sauce
2 limes, juiced
corn tortillas
sliced avocado (optional)
sliced red cabbage (optional)
shredded cheese (optional)
pickled jalapenos (optional)

Pickled Onions:
2 small red onions, sliced thin
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 sliced red chili
2 bay leaves





What to Do:



Pre-heat oven to 325F (160C). Season meat with salt and pepper and let it come to room temp (about 30 minutes).  Pat pork dry.



Heat a large oven-safe pot over high heat with the vegetable oil. Place pork in and evenly brown the meat, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside the pork.








Lower the heat to medium-high.  Add EVOO and heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt and pepper, 1 sliced chili, and 2 bay leaves. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  De-glaze the pot with beer and stir  in chicken stock and orange juice. Add the pork back into the pot (liquid should cover about 2/3 of the meat) and bring to a simmer.

Cover and put the pot into the oven, turning the meat halfway through. Cook until the meat is very tender, about 3 hours. Remove pot from oven and and remove meat from sauce, placing on a wood board - reserve and tent to keep warm. When the meat cools slightly, pull pork apart using 2 forks.

Simmer the braising liquid and reduce by half. Add the chipotle and adobo and lime juice.  When sauce has cooled slightly, use an immersion blender to purify into a thick sauce. Stir in your meat to coat or reserve to serve on the side.



For the onions:
In a sauce pot, bring the white vinegar, sugar, a teaspoon of salt, 1 chili pepper sliced and 2 bay leaves to a simmer over a low heat. Place sliced red onions into a sealable container. Pour the hot liquid over the onions, cover and shake vigorously. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Top your corn tortillas with meat and sauce and any additional toppings. Best served hot with a cold beer. Relax + enjoy!




PS - Looking for a way to use up those leftovers (if you have any, that is!)? Make a mini taco for a fiesta friendly finger food: Spoon a dollop of the pork and sauce onto a tostito - top with a sliver of onion, jalapeno and a pinch of cheese.







No comments:

Post a Comment