Sunday, November 11, 2012

Catching Up: Updates, Visitors and More!

Mom and Dad visit Hong Kong! Here we are on board the Aqua Luna.
I've been slacking. It has been a while since I last updated the blog and weeks have come and gone where "write blog post" never got checked off my to-do list. So here are some quick updates!

About 2 months ago I started at a full time job and I've landed back in the magazine world! I know, I know, I did have it pretty good during my months as a tai tai. But being back at work is great and I'm getting to see a totally different side of Hong Kong.
'

Then I had some very special visitors! In September, my mom and dad came! Seeing them was amazing and I loved showing them around Hong Kong and giving them a glimpse of my life here. They also spent 2 weeks touring through China, which they really enjoyed!
With my mom at Hutong in Kowloon.






We got to see some sites, have some great meals and most of all just spend some time hanging out after 6 months of not seeing each other! Some of the highlights were visiting The Peak, dinner at The China Club, going through the ladies market and jade market with my mom, feasting on soup dumplings and wedding dress shopping!

We also got to spend Rosh Hashanah together and my mom helped me cook brisket and matzoh ball soup for 25 people. Turns out buying "brisket" in the wet market is not the best plan. The meat wasn't great, but the company was.  (And so was Michael's homemade chicken liver - pictured below with Liz!).


Saying goodbye to mom and dad was hard. Tears were shed. I wish they could have stayed for months, but the good news is they're already planning their next Asia adventure! I think next time they'll take our advice - don't visit in August!


On the Star Ferry!
Me, Bobo + Big Buddha!
And then just a few weeks later Rissy came to visit! We had a fun weekend in Hong Kong, dancing to some cover bands, swimming off a junk boat, visiting Big Buddha and lunch on the beach in Lantau. Mid week Riss ventured off to Thailand by herself (brave girl!) to ride some elephants and see some Buddhas and then returned to HK for a final hurrah. We spent our last few nights catching up over foot massages, eating a delicious sushi dinner, and toasting with inventive Japanese cocktails at Butler. Rissy - thanks for making the long trip - I loved having you here!


We've also started some wedding planning! Finally under the year-to-go mark, I guess it's time to get a move on some things! Planning from abroad means that I'll be handing over a lot of the job to my mom (thanks, mom). In many ways it's nice to just take a step back and be able to enjoy this time rather than sweat the small stuff.  Stay tuned for more  wedding related blog posts!




Other than that, life here is just normal life. Go to work, eat dinner, watch Homeland, Dexter, The Good Wife, go to bed, wake up and do it all again...  We may throw some curve balls in there just to keep it interesting, like a weekend jaunt to Taiwan or Christmas in Japan! After all, I wouldn't want to let my readers down!












No comments:

Post a Comment